- Do I trust people of color? Do I ever react to people of color in ways that indicates suspicion or mistrust?
- In my work or educational experience do I seek out approval from white individuals for a job well done over that of other people of color?
- Do I/have I ever been embarrassed to respond to another person of color in a language other than English for fear of being associated with my cultural/ethnic group?
- Do I/have I hesitated to participate in cultural/ethnic heritage events at my place of work/educational institution for fear of being identified with one of my cultural/ethnic groups?
- Am I a harsher critic of the choices or behaviors of other people of color than I am of white people?
- When choosing a healthcare provider of other provider of services that requires specific educational training (i.e. attorney, educator etc.) am I less likely to select a person of color versus a white person?
- Have I/Do I intend to alter my physical features in any way to hide or obscure my own cultural/ethnic features?
- When choosing a place to live, would I prefer to live within a community that is a community of color or a predominately white community?
- How often do I refer to other people of color as “ghetto” or by some other derogatory/diminutive term?
- When choosing books, toys or similar gifts for the children in my life how conscious am I of images, sounds and experiences that reflect their ethnic/cultural identity?
- In my place of work do I give more weight or credence to the thoughts and ideas shared by white people versus people of color?
- Do I believe people of color?
- Have I ever questioned whether a colleague or service provider (of color) was chosen for their position based on an affirmative action initiative?
- When choosing sources of entertainment (literature, movies, music etc.) how often do I choose art created/produced by people of color?
- How often am I embarrassed by or fearful of another Person of Color?
- How often do I mistrust my own thinking or carry around doubts about other People of Color’s ability to think well?
- Do I ever actively or passively believe or support racial stereotypes about my own racial group (for example: laugh at a racist joke)
- Have I ever played the role of “gatekeeper”, assisting the white power structure in preventing certain People of Color from admission to an organization, or promotion to a leadership position – for fear of the perception that we’re “taking over?”
- How often do I overcompensate – actively go out of my way to contradict or disprove a stereotype that I think white people may be holding about me or others in my racial group?
- Am I ever ashamed of People of Color? How often do I feel ashamed of or avoid those whose skin is “too dark,” hair is “too kinky,” eyes “too slanty,” who dress “too ethnic,” or who talk or play music “too loud?”
- Do I ever censor my own opinion or passion, or hesitate to make waves when my knowledge and experience are overlooked in a conversation or discussion or argument with white people?
- Have I ever thought about my own racial group: “We are our own worst enemy.”
- How often do I doubt myself? Or second guess myself?
- Do I put on a different persona when I go into white people’s business, organization or home?
- How often am I unsupportive of a Person of Color’s leadership? Have I ever undermined or sabotaged their leadership?
- Do I hold People of Color to a higher standard than I hold White People?